[theora] Charset used for text subtitles?

Nathan Sharfi nisharfi at tstonramp.com
Fri Apr 18 06:43:38 PDT 2003

On 4/18/03 4:01 AM, "Hakon G" <hakon_ at everyday.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> I have a question about the proposed text subtitles for videostreams.
> I suppose this is more about the ogg container format than about theora,
> but since it's theora that has come to push such a feature I put my question
> in this forum.
>
> The question is whether all contents will use unicode charset by default, or
> if charset will be disregarded?
> Because as an example, in the xine video player, one has to state what
> encoding is used for the subs. If it was taken for granted that the charset is
> unicode, such a setting would be unnecessary in the player applications.
>

> Hakon

There are multiple Unicode encodings that fit "the charset is unicode",
though. I suggest requiring UTF-8 support (iso-8859-* is needlessly limited,
and should die--the sooner, the better) with a required declaration if you
want anything else. It's possible that Unicode doesn't bother to represent a
boatload of characters in East Asian languages; in that case, an out like
this would be handy.

This is the only reason I can see why UTF-8 would be a bad choice.