[theora] gratuit mpeg-4 content stream licensing

Ralph Giles zen6669 at zen.co.uk
Wed Jul 17 08:00:26 PDT 2002

Obviously not official, but I came across the following article about
Apple's release of QuickTime 6. http://news.com.com/2100-1023-943990.html

To wit:

>  "We've made a lot of progress as an industry working with MPEG LA,
> moving them considerably from where they were six months ago," said
> Frank Casanova, Apple's director of QuickTime product marketing.
> "They're primed to release a set of terms that the industry would find
> more reasonable."
>  "If you don't charge for your content, you don't pay anything at all,"
> he said. "Therefore, MPEG-4 streaming will largely be free. It's just
> those companies that have a pay-per-view model built into their
> business model that would actually have to talk to MPEG LA."

So it looks like people may actually start using it. I think this is
overall a good thing: better than the proprietary codecs 'everyone' uses
now. However, it does reduce adoption pressure for theora back to vorbis
levels.

The article doesn't mention codec license fees, which presumedly still
apply.

  -r