[theora-dev] -fforce-addr causes clang error with Xcode 5.1

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Jun 25 21:52:46 PDT 2014

Apple's clang in Xcode 5.1 (as for building with the iOS 7.1 SDK) throws an
error about the (gcc-specific?) -fforce-addr option being unknown, which
clang now thinks is evil and should abort compilation.

It looks like this also hits OS X 10.9 builds, as I see there's a patch for
theora in MacPorts for this issue: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42934

Attached is a quick-fix patch to the theora configure.ac to remove that
option conditionally when building for Darwin, which gets my builds working
again with the iOS 7.1 SDK (OS X builds untested).

Alternatively, if the option isn't needed it could simply be removed as in
the MacPorts patch.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / bvibber @ wikimedia.org)