[theora-dev] theora streamer for Android anyone?

ydegoyon at gmail.com ydegoyon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 23:47:47 PDT 2011

ola,

i am one of the developers of http://giss.tv,
some people here might know about it.

we use since 5 years some tools
( gstreamer, ffmpeg2theora, pure data, ... )
to make Ogg/Theora/Vorbis
streams related to media-hacktivism
and social movements.

lately, we realized how important it becomes to
have lighter tools in some contexts where you cannot set
a medialab and a decent network,
like in pacific occupation of public spaces
( plaza catalunya, puerta del sol, ... ).

that's why we are trying now to develop
some streaming solutions for mobile phones
and, logically, we try right now to make this work
on Android.

i compiled libogg, libvorbis and libtheora for ARM
and linked it to the Java interface using JNI...
but alas, no luck, it crashes in various places
of the native code, so i guess i need a proper port of the libraries
to Android ( that should work on ARM processors
with fixed point processing no ? ).

i'm writing now this message to know
if anybody have worked on this already
and if they suceeded in making an Ogg/Theora
encoder that actually works on Android.

thanks in advance for any track
that could be useful in that research.

saludos,