[theora-dev] [Cortado] How to support seeking in on-the-fly generated Theora stream?

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Mon May 23 17:31:41 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:32 AM, David Schueler
<david.schueler at wapkamera.de> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote on 05.23.2011 05:07:59 PM:
>
>> I misunderstood what you were looking for—   What version of cortado
>> are you looking at?  Last I tested client side seeking worked
>> absolutely fine in it. I only suggested otherwise because I thought
>> you weren't interested in keeping the transcoded-on-the-fly output.
>
> I'm using the latest git version from http://git.xiph.org
> I thought my explanations where clear enough that the cortado java applet
> should be capable of buffering the video data and support seeking in that
> buffer and that i tried to implement that. I dont want to post any seek
> requests to the server.

To be honest: if Cortado doesn't already allow seeking on already
downloaded byte ranges and is asking to re-download those, then I
think it's got a serious bug.

Where byte ranges are not downloaded yet, it should indeed do byte
range requests, but that doesn't seem to be what you are after...

Also: why are you using Cortado and not e.g. Firefox 4 with Ogg Theora support?

Silvia.