[theora-dev] DC prediction

Jonathan Fabrizio jonathan.fabrizio at lrde.epita.fr
Fri Mar 25 04:38:25 PDT 2011

Hi,
The specification points out a problem in the dc prediction :
"This procedure describes the complete process of undoing the DC prediction
to recover the original DC values. Because it is possible to add a value
as large
as 580 to the predicted DC coefficient value at every block, which will
then be
used to increase the predictor for the next block, the reconstructed DC
value
could overflow a 16-bit integer."

And explains the solution :

"This is handled by truncating the result to a
16-bit signed representation, simply throwing away any higher bits in
the two’s
complement representation of the number."

which is done in the algorithm:

* Truncate DC to a 16-bit representation by dropping any higher-order bits.

But why dropping higher-order bits ?
With a simple exemple with an unsigned integer 100001 If I truncate this
number to a 4-bit representation by dropping any higher-order bits I get
0001 which is far from the initial value. I think the value could be
rounded to 1111 which is better ?
To round DC, which is signed with a 17-bit representation, to a 16 bit
signed value, this gives :
if (DC<− (2^15)) DC = -2^15
else if (DC>2^(15)-1) DC = -2^(15)-1

Am I wrong ?