[theora-dev] [theora] ffmpeg2theora 0.28 released

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Tue Aug 2 06:36:22 PDT 2011

On 08/02/2011 07:58 AM, dos386 wrote:
>> ffmpeg2theora 0.28 released
> Thank you :-)
>
> Some suggestions (based on 0.27, no tests with 0.28 yet):
>
> - Document prominently versions of used lib's (Theora, Vorbis, FFMPEG)
> (versions of Theora and Vorbis can be peeked out with some effort,
> FFMPEG is "top secret" ?)
>
> - Better progress indicator (for example number of frames processed or
> % of input file size)
>
> - Better summary at end (total number of frames processed, broken
> frames, time used for the work, source and dest file size)
>
> - Merge FFMPEG2THEORA with FFMPEG2DIRAC (0.2.0 is out as fork of
> FT0.27) and add support for FLAC output (optional, besides Vorbis)
I think the concept of merging ffmpeg2theora & ffmpeg2dirac is a good
one, but I think some of us should get together and work with j^ and
others to work on the possibility of making a (better name than this)
"any2free" encoding utility which will be optimized for outputting in
free formats such as those supported by and promoted by the Xiph
Foundation, including, for example, VP8/WebM.  This would be a great
boon toward open media, I think.

It would not be easy, and while ffmpeg2theora could be leveraged, I
think it's a lot to ask only j^ to do that, it should be an effort of
more people working together.