[theora-dev] using Kate for WebVTT encapsulation

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 17 02:59:46 PDT 2011

> What do you mean by adding baggage? Do you want to translate the
> WebVTT styling to Kate styling?

No, quite the opposite: I imagine a browser would have a WebVTT parser
plugged after demuxers, so the best would be to just cut the input in timed
chunks to mux them at the correct time. What I meant is that using libkate
for this seems like using OpenOffice to create a small text file. It works,
but you'd be quicker done using vi :)

[example snipped]

So that would lend itself well to embedding a whole raw cue per packet.

Now, using libkate gives you working mux/demux code and support in
various software already, still needing to plug to new WebVTT parsers,
but means more complex code/format that creating a new simpler codec
for WebVTT, which would be a subset of Kate.