[theora-dev] RLE for DC/AC-coefficients separately for the blocks or at whole?

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Mon Apr 4 02:45:40 PDT 2011

> I think that coding for DC/AC-coefficients for blocks separately gives lesser RLE-compression ratio.
> It is right?

Whether or not it's "right", the format does not give you the option.
The token system defined in the specification has two ways of exploiting
runs: runs of zeros _within_ a single block, and runs of EOB tokens
_across_ multiple blocks. You can't code runs of zeros which span
blocks, except through EOB tokens.