[theora-dev] too mach distortion on color gradient

Alexey Fisher bug-track at fisher-privat.net
Fri Oct 8 05:02:05 PDT 2010

Hallo Monty,

Am Donnerstag, den 07.10.2010, 17:04 -0400 schrieb xiphmont at xiph.org:
> First off, Ptalar does handle these cases better than Thusnelda did.
> Second, the whole problem stems from the lowest AC coeffs not getting
> enough bits, and I'd expect that to be a result of coarse quantizers.
> What were the exact command lines used to encode?  I'm only used to
> seeing this effect in fairly low bitrate encodes.

i'm not in sintel team, so i can't answer this question.

I send an email Ton Roosendaal (ton blender.org), will see if we will
get some response.

I still think it will be good (especially for advocacy) to make
libtheora writhe some encoding options to the header. Currently it write
only encoder version. Relevant info is bitrate/quality and passes. So it
will look like:
k2000p2 (2000 kbit, 2 pass) or q60p2 (quality 60, 2 pass)

every thing together will be:
Xiph.Org libtheora 1.2.0alpha 20100924 (Ptalarbvorm) q60p2
                                                     ^^^^^

Alexey