[theora-dev] one feature to future theora which might have good impact

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at email.unc.edu
Fri Feb 12 08:46:56 PST 2010

Sergey Kurdakov <sergey.forum at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did not test current theora on ability to provide low latency streaming.
> Still few ideas like "Periodic intra refresh" ( from link above  ) might
> improve the situation.

Periodic intra refresh is planned for 1.2. I'm not sure what we're
going to do about communicating that to decoders yet, so that someone
joining a stream in the middle doesn't have to wait for a keyframe
that will never come. There are IPR issues I need to work through
here, as well.

After that the primary limit is going to be the accuracy of the rate
control. We have not spent time to make accurate estimates of the
number of bits that will be used by a given frame, and instead rely on
somewhat coarse estimates that can be averaged over several frames and
to which we can react quickly. Contributions in this area are welcome.