[theora-dev] SSE2 assembly support

Kay Tiong Khoo kkhoo at rotateright.com
Thu Feb 11 00:58:13 PST 2010

Hi,

Thanks for all the info and advice.

I took a profile using a statistical sampler of the example_encoder performing an encode of the deadline_cif.y4m media file. Below are the top 10 functions sorted by "Self" samples. "Total" samples occur in the symbol or its children.

OS: CentOS release 5.4 (Final) 2.6.18-164.el5
Processor: 4 x 2.40GHz Intel Core 2

      Self      Total Symbol
     22.7%      22.7% oc_analyze_mb_mode_luma
     16.0%      16.0% oc_enc_frag_satd2_thresh_mmxext
     13.0%      13.0% oc_enc_frag_satd_thresh_mmxext
     12.7%      12.7% oc_enc_tokenize_ac
      5.7%      22.3% oc_enc_block_transform_quantize
      5.0%       5.0% oc_analyze_mb_mode_chroma
      4.0%      95.4% oc_enc_analyze_inter
      2.7%       7.0% oc_mcenc_search_frame
      2.6%       2.6% oc_enc_fdct8x8_mmx
      1.7%      33.4% oc_cost_inter

The encoder was compiled with:

CFLAGS="-Wall -Wno-parentheses -g -O3 -fforce-addr -fno-omit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -funroll-loops"

The profile concurs with Timothy's assessment. The optimized MMX functions account for ~30% of the samples, so the room for improvement by conversion to SSE2 is limited. I will try some opportunistic optimizations before starting on the conversion work.

----
Kay Khoo
RotateRight, LLC