[theora-dev] pre 1.0 API issues.

Romain Beauxis toots at rastageeks.org
Wed Nov 18 16:23:14 PST 2009

	Hi all !

We have writtent a theora binding for ocaml, which we are using for
liquidsoap.

We are currently in the process of completing the video support in liquidsoap,
but we discovered that our use of the encoder does not work any more.

To be more precise, the video encoded with libtheora 1.1.1 are not correct,
while they are correct with 1.0.2 with the same binary.

The symptoms are that the frames do not seem to be encoded, apparently I see
the frame being updated every couple seconds only.

Also, the statistics of the packet per pages seem very strange:
Theora: serialno 0363436042
        618 packets in 20 pages, 30.9 packets/page, 1.933% Ogg overhead
        Theora-Version: 3.2.1
        Video-Framerate: 25.000 fps
        Video-Width: 320
        Video-Height: 240

Whereas with 1.0.2, I get:
Theora: serialno 0464246093
        245 packets in 325 pages, 0.8 packets/page, 1.026% Ogg overhead
        Theora-Version: 3.2.1
        Video-Framerate: 25.000 fps
        Video-Width: 320
        Video-Height: 240

What is also interesting is that the simple transcoding example shipped with
the binding is still working.

We are using the pre-1.0 API and we are now considering switching to this API
for the binding. However, since the pre-1.0 API is still supposed to be
supported, I though this would be interesting to report this issue here.

Hence, do you know any reason for which the same usage of the pre-1.0 API
could work in 1.0.2 and not in 1.1.1 ? Something in the initialization for
instance, or I anything else.. ?

I can provide more informations if needed...

Thanks for your answers !

Romain