[theora-dev] Suggestions for Theora

salsaman salsaman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 23:31:30 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Ryan smith<ryan14 at mail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have some suggestions for Theora:
> 1) Theora should have a feature like adobe flash does that enables direct
> end user to end user peering which decreases a server's bandwidth usage and
> cost. Read here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Time_Media_Flow_Protocol
>
> Theora should go one step further and support file sharing.
>
> 2) Theora should have a plugin for the safari web browser that runs on the
> Apple iPhone/iPhone3G/iPhone3GS and the iPod Touch 1st and 2nd generation.
> The operating systems on all of these are the same and I think it's a type
> of Mac O/S.
>
> 3) Theora should have a feature that disables print screen and video
> recording software from capturing Theora videos. Alot of webmasters have
> their videos stolen by people using printscreen and video capture software,
> so Theora should have a feature where when a person pushes the Printscreen
> key on their keyboard, and pastes the image, the image will just be a white
> blank box. When a person uses a video capture software and tries to record a
> video playing in the Theora player, it will just be a blank white box.
> Everything else on the screen be will captured, except the Theora player.
> This will solve alot of copyright problems webmasters have with their
> videos.

How do you suggest theora does this ? Mind you it is a good idea. I
think if somebody points a camera at the screen, theora should realise
the camera is there and refuse to play back any more. What do you
think about that ?

> 4) Theora should have a feature where when a user plays a video using the
> Theora player, the video will be compressed so the file size is smaller and
> it will be faster to load. The quality of the video should remain the same.
> For example, some 2 hour 16:9 Widescreen High definition 1080p videos are
> 4Gigabytes in size, so Theora should compress this 4GB video into 100MB
> without losing any quality.

Wow, that is a great idea ! However, I think the compression should be
done in two stages. The first stage would compress losslessly from 4
GB to 100MB ( a 40 to 1 reduction). Then (here is the clever bit !),
you pass the 100MB file back through the lossless compressor. At 40 to
1 compression you would end up with a 2.5MB file ! For a 2 hour 16:9
widescreen movie !
(I guess you could pass it through a third time and end up with a 62KB
file, but that would just be silly.)

> 5) Theora should be integrated into the next version of Internet Explorer
> for Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7.

I thought it was already. Perhaps you could ask Bill Gates or Steve
Balmer to check ?

Salsaman.