[theora-dev] A thank you and question about the cortado jar

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Sun Jul 12 13:27:56 PDT 2009

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Is what I'm doing kosher?

Yes, we put it there for exactly this purpose.

However, there's currently a minor technical problem, which is that
Java's security model only allows an applet to open URLs from the same
domain the applet is hosted on, unless the applet is signed. We've
self-signed it, but this still requires the user to manually authorize
the connection. Supposedly one can get around this by getting the applet
signed with an appropriate certificate (e.g., one already trusted by the
browser), but we've been unable to come up with a way to test that this
actually works in a reasonable set of JVMs (e.g., Microsoft's) without
sinking the $400 or whatever it costs to buy the certificate up front
(if someone out there has ideas on this subject, please let us know).

> So thank you. The capabilities of theora really blow me away. I wish I

You're welcome. It's nice to see everyone's hard work put to good use.