[theora-dev] Theora packets with granulepos of -1

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at email.unc.edu
Tue Feb 24 04:41:59 PST 2009

salsaman wrote:
> Yes, it is specified, but I discovered there was a bug in some earlier
> versions of the encoder which resulted in the wrong value being used.
> If you try to decode one of these files, it will not work without the
> above check.

The subminor version field is used to indicate whether the stream starts
from 0 or 1. Are you saying there's a version of the encoder which
outputs a subminor version of 1 but starts the stream from granpos 0, or
vice versa?

Also, keep in mind that files captured from the middle of a live stream
will often start from a granpos other than 0 or 1, in which case your
manual check of the first page will fail to reveal which is actually
being used.