[theora-dev] ffmpeg2theora aspect ratio

Orton AKINCI aka .-_-. ortonak at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 03:19:08 PST 2009

for 4:3 sd pal (D1/DV)  source which is 720x576pixels with a PAR of 1.067 i use -x 768 -y 576 in ffmpeg2theora (which is 1:1 (1.0) PAR equivalent of 720x576(4:3)).
for 4:3 sd ntsc which is 720x480pixels with a PAR of 0.9 i use -x 720 -y 540 in ffmpeg2theora  (which is 1:1 (1.0) PAR equivalent of 720x480(4:3)).

another option is to use -x 720 -y 540 to obtain 4:3 DAR for pal and -x 640 -y 480 for ntsc. i dont know which one is technically true (better) but i got good results with all. but values in the first example should be better since pal has wider pixels and ntsc has taller pixels.

of course a regular user should not now the relation between DAR and PAR, so this should be made clear somehow. because all the video standards until HD had non-square pixel aspect ratios. if one day, all the existing video on earth on DVDs DV tapes, VHS BETA Tapes etc is transcoded or digitized to ogg theora this way (which is a good dream:)) and all the previous masters become inaccessible (because of technological switch) the next generations will think that the world (people etc) used to be slightly thinner (for pal) or wider (for ntsc) in the past:D

.-_-.
http://httpdotçnet/.-_-./