[theora-dev] Wikipedia article

Jonathan Harker jon at jon.geek.nz
Sun Aug 9 17:20:01 PDT 2009

Remco wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Jonathan Harker<jon at jon.geek.nz> wrote:
>> Please let me know if I've missed out some juicy details, or got
>> anything wrong, or whatever (or feel free to wade in yourselves!)
>
> "As the only mature royalty free video codec (as of July 2009)"
>
> This doesn't seem right to me. Isn't MPEG 1 video also royalty free?

It's entirely possible; I've left things that I don't know anything
about. Wikipedia has more than it's share of know-it-alls and trolls.

> In the "Playback Performance" section, it is said that there are no
> mainstream hardware decoders for Theora. I'd like to see a mention of
> a non-mainstream hardware decoder.

Can you point me at one? That would be a good mention.

> Are there really only two video editors capable of editing Theora?

There are bits of the article I have left because I don't know whether
its accurate and haven't researched it.