[theora-dev] further debugging of my ogg/theora decoder

salsaman salsaman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 01:56:02 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:

> 2008/11/13 salsaman <salsaman at gmail.com>:

> has
> >>
> >> It's possible, though unlikely.
>
> (hence it is not safe to assume that every keyframe is represented by
> a granulepos in the stream.)

> >> In this case, you know the answer, because if you know by counting
> >> whether the keyframe you just found is frame 18, no? Or are you
> >> worried about having the backpropagate the (10,12) to earlier packets
> >> in that (10,12) page? You do have to do that, you can't assume there
> >> isn't a 9,9 in there too.
> >
> > No, I am not worried about that. But the first keyframe I find could be
> 14
> > instead of 18, for example. Then I count two frames, I would end up at 16
> > instead of 20.
>
> right -- when you found (10,12), the only info that gives you is that
> a keyframe exists at frame 10, and interframes 11 and 12 depend on it.
> You previously knew that keyframe 18 exists and interframes 19-22
> depend on it. You don't yet know anything about the keyframes and
> interframes between 13-17.
>
> > The only way I can see to be sure is to decode right up to the (18,22)
> page
> > and make sure there are no more keyframes until then.
> >
> > This would occur for example, if there were continuation packets up to
> frame
> > 13, then on the same page 14 (keyframe in this example) begins and the
> > packet continues until we get to 18, then 18 continues until 18,22.
>
> yes
>
> > So what I really need to know, if a frame/packet completes on a page, and
> > then another frame/packet begins on the same page, but continues, would
> the
> > granulepos be for the completed frame, or would it be a continuation ?
>
> for the completed frame; the granulepos (which is a field in the page
> header) refers to the last completed packet on the page.
>
> > If
> > it's the former then I think I am OK because in case of a keyframe before
> > 18, there should always be a completed frame (e.g. 17 with a granulepos
> of
> > 14,17) before 18 starts, right ?
>
> No, eg. your next example is possible:
>
> > The other example I can think of is if 17 is a keyframe, and it completes
> on
> > the same page as 18, also a keyframe, completes. I guess this might be
> > possible for very small, rapidly changing frames, right ? In this case I
> > would only need to decode to the end of the page where a keyframe first
> > appears, and make sure I got the last keyframe on that page.
> >
> > I hope this makes some sense.
>
> If you just want to identify keyframe packets, you can skip the full
> decode and use theora_packet_is_keyframe(), which just probes the
> packet data for the keyframe flag.
>
> So in general, you can't make assumptions about keyframe existence
> based on granulepos.

> [...]

Actually I have now realised it`s not that complicated, as you say, just
counting frames and not caring about keyframes at all is the way to go.

My search runs in 2 passes:

pass 1, find largest gpos <= target - this gives us keyframe for target
(note that a granulepos with k<= target, f>=target is also acceptable)

pass 2, calculate gpos from kframe, search for largest gpos < this

then starting from that page:
 - ignore any packets on that page
 - count frames starting from the following page
 - when we reach a page which produces (target -1), we know that is where
kframe starts, so store that page offset (this is useful for playing
backwards...)
- decode the next packet : this is our target frame

Does that look correct ?

Cheers,
Gabriel.