[theora-dev] variable frame rate for Theora

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Tue Nov 11 11:45:45 PST 2008

Hi there,

I have just read in the documentation that Theora doesn't support
variable frame rates. I don't know whether it will support it in the
near future and since I cannot code I don't really know whether this
would be easy to implement. But I'd ask you to consider implementing
variable frame rates.

The reason for that implementation would come from the much smaller size
  in screencasts and presentations.

Screencasts can benefit if the frames are recorded only when something
in the screen or selected area changes (this would be even more useful
if mouse pointer isn't recorded).

And for presentations, I have the following example:
http://lessig.blip.tv/. Setting  a constant frame rate to one frame per
second (which would give wrong audio sync) the total number of frames
would be higher with that constant frame rate than with a variable frame
rate that only records frames when slides change.

Because of these, I think that considering the implementation of
variable frame rates would be extremely useful for screencasts and
sharing presentations on the net.

Could you please consider this implementation.

Many thanks for the excellent work on theora,

Pablo