[theora-dev] dynamic change video quality........

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at email.unc.edu
Tue Feb 19 01:13:54 PST 2008

xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:
> Anyway, I can see the use of this functionality, so I will see to
> adding it to the API.  Derf, do you have documentation of your new API
> so that I can do this correctly...?

The API was never really finished, or implemented, but you can get the
basic idea by looking at
http://people.xiph.org/~tterribe/doc/libtheora-exp/theoraenc_8h.html#encctlcodes
(see specifically TH_ENCCTL_SETUP_VBR and TH_ENCCTL_SETUP_CQI). The idea
was that these functions could be called at any point during the
encoding process to change the current encoding mode and parameters. A
TH_ENCCTL_SETUP_ABR was planned for an average bitrate mode, exposing
things like rate-control buffer size, etc.