[theora-dev] Dynamic Change Parameters..

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Feb 14 04:20:33 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 1, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Asanka Dilruk <adilruk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanna use the theora codec for a point to point video chat in an optimum
> way.
> So my plan is to develop theora as it's compression is sensitive with the
> available network bandwidth (Change the compression ratios dynamically).
> I am trying to implement this functionality in to theora.

Ah, so you want to be able to change the target bitrate.
Theoretically possible, yes.  The current library is unable to do
this, but it could be as simple as adding a new theora encode_ctl to
adjust target bitrate on the fly.

You still need to start the codec with a completely valid setup.

Vorbis is a different matter; its modes are heavily tuned for a given
bitrate and the codec can only vary over a fairly small range from the
original setup.  I don't know if Speex and CELT (better suited to chat
type applications) are similarly limited.

Monty