[theora-dev] FOSS Codecs for Online Video: Usability, Uptake and Development - First Draft

Felipe Portavales Goldstein portavales at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:33:04 PDT 2007

On the topic "Future of Web Video"

You say:
"Mobile devices often use hardware decoders rather than software
decoders to playback video due to the relatively smaller capacity of
the processor."

"Ogg Theora/Vorbis does have the potential to be supported by mobile
devices using the software decoder, but it remains to be seen what the
degree of uptake of this will be."

Actually, we are developing a Theora Hardware decoder solution aimed
to mobile/embedded devices.
The solution already works using our open source hardware design
integrated with the LEON processor (an open source processor).

We are capable to decode Theora streams in real-time (20 FPS) up to
600 Kbps  running on an FPGA at 50 MHz.
The video resolution is still very limited, but we are hard-working to
improve the resolution using a different memory hierarchy in our
hardware decoder.

I believe that we will be able to decode high resolution video streams
in the near future, with a complete open source hardware platform.

The hardware theora source code are located on the Xiph SVN:
http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/theora-fpga/theora_hardware/

Cheers,
Felipe