[theora-dev] Theora hardware is running on LEON3!

Leonardo de Paula Rosa Piga lpiga at terra.com.br
Sat Sep 1 06:24:52 PDT 2007

Philip,

Our FPGA has 1MB of external  SRAM.

The LastFrameRecon, ThisFrameRecon and GoldenFrame each one use (3 /
2) * (width + 32) * (height + 32) bytes of memory. Then we need (9 /
2) * (width + 32) * (height + 32) to store the three buffers.

More over, the YCbCr2RGB module uses (5 / 2) * (width * height).

But if we keep both in the external SRAM we have to do an arbiter and
some big changes in the YCbCr2RGB. My suggestion is to not to change
this module.

Then with 1MB and considering the aspect ratio of 4:3 is possible to
decode a video of 520x390 approximately.

But is not possible to do the conversion using internal memory with
this resolution.

Therefore my estimative is a resolution of 320x240.

On 9/1/07, Philip Heron <phil at sanslogic.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 03:51 -0300, André Costa wrote:
> > Theora hardware with LEON3 is runinng!!!
>
> That's fantastic, congratulations André!
>
> > The next step will be to do plug it (the system [b]) on the SRAM
> > memory in order to increase the resolution.
>
> What resolution do you think the hardware could manage at a decent frame
> rate (>= 25fps) with the SRAM?
>
> -Phil

Leonardo de Paula Rosa Piga
Undergraduate Computer Engineering Student
LSC - IC - UNICAMP
http://www.students.ic.unicamp.br/~ra033956