[theora-dev] Theora beta2 released

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 20:31:34 PDT 2007

--- Maik Merten <maikmerten at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> once again I have the great pleasure to announce the
> release of a new
> Theora version - please welcome libtheora beta 2!
>
> Changes for this version:
>
> libtheora 1.0beta2 (2007 October 12)
>
>  - Fix a crash bug on char-is-unsigned architectures
> (PowerPC)
>  - Fix a buffer sizing issue that caused rare
> encoder crashes
>  - Fix a buffer alignment issue
>  - Build fixes for MingW32, MSVC
>  - Improved format documentation.
>
> Downloads:

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/theora/libtheora-1.0beta2.tar.bz2

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/theora/libtheora-1.0beta2.tar.gz

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/theora/libtheora-1.0beta2.zip

Congratulations! Very good to note Theora development
accelerated. Higher the speed, higher the attention
attracted to Theora. Lower the speed, people keep away
from it accusing its dead.

I propose following improvements to Theora offering to
make it further strengthen:

1. Give official status to dump_video,
encoder_example, player_example and png2theora. That
is, install them as part of the make install.

2. Rename  dump_video -> theoradump,  encoder_example
-> theoraenc or theoraencoder and player_example ->
theoraplayer. Please note, these names are just
suggestions only, similar meaningful names could be
used. But don't use '_example', its sounds very
amateurish.

3. Identify upgrades for encoder_example,
player_example and png2theora to make them even
suitable for serious/professional use.

4. Above 1, 2, 3 points before release Theora Version
1.0.

Good luck and best wishes.

Unga