[theora-dev] Multi-Thread Theora Encoder

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Sun Oct 7 04:03:17 PDT 2007

Nice work. Too bad I'm still on a single-core system (but now I have a
nice excuse to mothball this system and go ahead assembling a new one).

Two things I noticed:

 - output bitrate seems to vary slightly depending on how many threads
are used (no visible difference, though). If your goal for the
optimization is to have it produce exactly the same output and you're
thinking right now "wait, this shouldn't happen" then there may perhaps
be a problem in the new code.

 - the example encoder segfaults using an excessive number of threads
(for me 382 threads seems to be the maximum number of threads still
working on my CIF input file). For some reason my gdb doesn't work on
encoder_example ("not in executable format: File format not recognized"
- huh?) so I can't really say where things are going wrong (may e.g. be
a system lib doing strange stuff and not your code).

Maik