[theora-dev] can .ogg files play with any other codec

michel memeteau michel.memeteau at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 02:34:33 PDT 2007

2007/7/14, janaka priyadarshana <rpjanaka at gmail.com>:

> if i want to play a .ogg file, should i have the theora codec installed in
> my machine...?
> is theora the only compatible codec with ogg container format..?

Ogg can only embed  Free codecs theora and vorbis , I'm 99% sure ( It's why
this guy created OGM )

i am using Ubuntu 7.04, with the default player (Totem Movie Player 2.18.1),
> it is not necessary to install theora externally.
> why is this,
> with the totem player they included theora codec....?
> or .ogg can be play with another codec...?

On Ubuntu , Totem Rely on Gstreamer and the theora Gstreamer plugin is
installed by default . Ogg video with theora/vorbis  needs ...... theora &
vorbis  codec right now but remenber you can have ogg audio files ( only
vorbis ) .

A good think could be to use ogv and oga as you can't use different handler
for the same file extension  in Windows for exemple.

--
> Regards,
> Janaka Priyadarshana

Michel memeteau
VOIP | Visio: sip:freechelmi at gizmoproject.com
Fixe : 0491886375 !!! APARTIR du 15/09/2007 -> 0811956494
Mobile : 0624808051
jabber/GoogleTalk : freechelmi at jabber.fr