[theora-dev] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal for Discussion: LICENSE and COPYRIGHT tags on Vorbis Comments

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Sat Jul 7 18:46:36 PDT 2007

On 08/07/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/8/07, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> > These are not new tags. They have been part of the recommended
> > interoperability set for years, and are the standard way of
> > flagging such information in ogg files.
>
> Oh, really?  Well, be kind enough to provide me a link. I'll be
> deleting the wiki page and try to add the information somewhere else
> more relevant.

Great, you are right that this information hasn't been well publicized
by us. It needs someone to give some attention to sorting through the
documents and working with people who care about having common
conventions.

The basic document describes LICENSE and COPYRIGHT fields, but is
perhaps not clear enough about whether these should be
machine-readable:

http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

Some proposals for extra field names:

http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tagging.html
http://www.gophernet.org/articles/vorbiscomment/

The recommendation at Creative Commons -- we should probably work
together to have complementary and interlinked information on the CC
and Xiph wikis:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Ogg

A blog post / message to linux-audio-dev that I wrote about tagging
vorbis files. Since writing that I've done some maintenance work on
vorbis-tools, but haven't gotten around to adding more explicit
support for CC license options. I'd gladly apply patches though ;-)

http://blog.kfish.org/2005/06/creative-commons-tagging.html

cheers,

Conrad.