[theora-dev] optimization for OLPC

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Feb 27 23:17:34 PST 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 10:41:46PM +0800, Chih-Chung Chang wrote:

> OLPC has a camera on it, do you think it's possible to use Theora on
> 320x240 at 15fps for real-time encoding/decoding?

In theory, but it probably needs some coding love. The libtheora encoder
assumes it's doing batch encoding and the output delay varies wildly
with the motion content. With a "realtime" mode it should be possible.

I don't have access to the hardware. Can you try running an encode
with libtheora 1.0alpha7 and see how far we are from realtime?