[theora-dev] what is the standards followed by Theora .

michel memeteau michel.memeteau at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 01:43:08 PDT 2007

2007/8/23, janaka priyadarshana <rpjanaka at gmail.com>:

> hi all,
>
> i saw that
>
> "Theora is targeted at competing with MPEG-4<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4>video (
> e.g., H.264 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264>, Xvid<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid>and
> DivX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX>), RealVideo<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealVideo>,
> Windows Media Video <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Video> ,
> and similar lower-bitrate video compression schemes."
>

> can you please tell me which standards are followed by theora...?
> is that a completely new standard that is not used for any other video
> codec..?

Quick answer : most "standards" are patented( MPEG 3/4 etc ..)   . theora IS
not . Theora is based on work from On2 ( VP3)

In terms of performance , Theora can be compared to Xvid but not really to
H264/WMV3 I guess

--
Michel memeteau
VOIP | Visio: sip:freechelmi at gizmoproject.com
Fixe : 0491886375 !!! APARTIR du 15/09/2007 -> 0811956494
Mobile : 0624808051
jabber/GoogleTalk : freechelmi at jabber.fr