[theora-dev] Encoding - CPU usage ...

Mat heavensdoor78 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 00:24:09 PDT 2006

Kamil Pawlowski wrote:
> Now i write application to capture and encode video stream from V4L2
> device to Theora/Ogg file (384x288 25fps). And i have low performance
> problems on my athlon processor (2Ghz).

Only 1 video input ?
An Athlon should be ok from V4L2 grabbing + Theora encoding.
I did some similar tests in past.
The performance problems I spoke about was on 4 inputs.

> Maybe i must change theora to some faster codec (mpeg in ffmpeg?)

I have to admit that MPeg4 in ffmpeg is great...
That's why we use it... great performance, nice quality, realiable.

> But maybe there is something which i can do to make better performance?
> Example, i have code to convert RGB buffer to YUV buffer, but this is
> can take lot CPU ticks.

Can't you grab directly in YUV ?
( like V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUV420 )