[theora-dev] Theora file size

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Sat Oct 7 08:43:29 PDT 2006

> Y4M is YUV4MPEG2, which is YUV12.

> ./encoder_example -o movie.ogg -v 10 movie.y4m

Yes, I later realized that Y4M could actually mean Yuv4Mpeg :)

>> BTW there is a hidden option in encoder_example that allows trading
>> file size for sharpness.  Might be a good idea to sacrifice some
>> sharpness for HDTV content.  Also you can increase the keyframe
>> distance.  I attach the patch of my local copy of encoder_example.c,
>> that was "tuned" that way.
>>

> I have applied your patch. I even made ti.quick_p=0.  But result is
> still the same:

> movie.ogg 61742755 bytes

Then something seems quite wrong with your setup.  BTW which theora
version are you using?

> movie-192-256.ogg 61742755 bytes

> Is there a way to know either from the movie or from the
> encoder_example what are its keyframe_frequency and
> keyframe_frequency_force values?

Maybe you could try to run from GDB and look at the contents of 'ti'?
If I have some time, I'll see how my local encoder_example copes with
HDTV content.

regards,

David