[theora-dev] Encoding - CPU usage ...

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Oct 4 12:46:03 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:55:58PM +0200, Mat wrote:

> So I'm here to ask for any kind tips to reduce the CPU usage.
> - Hardware... do you think there are better CPUs for Theora? AMD64?

What optimization we have should work with both x86 and x86_64 cpus. You
do need a fast machine for SD res, but CIF shouldn't be a problem. By "4
BNC" do you mean capturing 4 separate CIF feeds (4x2.5 Mpixel/second)
simultanteously?

> - CPU optimisations... they are enabled by default, right?

Should be, if you're using the latest release. alpha6 had a bug where
they were not. If you 'make debug' from svn it should tell you what it's
using.

> - Encoding parameters... now I use:

These looks like they're appropriate. Reducing the framerate will help a
lot, but that may not be acceptable for a DVR.

> I'm studying the Theora's examples and ffmpeg2theora to see if I can
> optimize my code... but I don't know libogg / libtheora so I can't
> understand well some functions. Is there an API reference also for
> libogg... ?

http://xiph.org/ogg/doc/libogg/

It is unlikely to be a bottleneck, however.

HTH,