[Theora-dev] patch to build theora-mmx on AMD64

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed May 3 15:35:42 PDT 2006

> I had the exact same problem.  I found this on Usenet:
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/bbef7633760b5472/a28c7c5bfb46c85f%23a28c7c5bfb46c85f
> It seems that the deal is that PIC and non-PIC code don't play nice on
> x86_64, but you can get away w/it on x86_32 (I need easier
> abbreviations!!!) so lots of libs have this problem.

The problem is the global variables in a few files (e.g. V128 in
recon_mmx.c), I'm pretty sure.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the solution is. Possibly loading the
constants into local variables (in the surrounding C code) and only
using the locals would be a workable solution; there might be better
ones.

Mike