[theora-dev] add theora_user_yuv_out(theora_state *, yuv_buffer *) to libtheora?

Shane Stephens shane.stephens at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 20:30:24 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'd like to add user-allocated frame memory to theora via a
theora_user_yuv_out callback.  An additional helper function
(theora_user_buffer_is_freeable) would also be required.

With these two functions, user applications could submit memory
buffers directly to libtheora, which would reduce the number of frame
copies in a typical application from two per frame to one per frame.

I've summarised the problem in more detail and provided a couple of
alternative approaches at: http://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1081#preview.

What do people think of this idea / approach?

Cheers,
    -Shane Stephens