[Theora-dev] CPU usage while encoding...

Rob Smith djrobsmith at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:39:29 PST 2005

Hi,

I would love to use theora-mmx or theora-oil on a Win32 system but I
can't get either to compile.  I understand that liboil only compiles
with gcc anyway.  Being fairly new to inline asm I haven't a clue
where to start.

Currently I'm using the reference theora encoder, but in a dynamic
"dll" form which works great for me (apart from being slow).  Are
there any plans to convert any of these wonderful optimisations so
they can compile for msvc or vc2003?

Regards

Rob

On 11/4/05, Mat <heavensdoor78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:32:05AM +0100, Mat wrote:

> I know it's hard. I suppose I can do little to reduce the load...
Probably I can't use Theora for my application :(

> The main branch hasn't received much optimization work. If that's what
you've been testing you might try the -mmx or -oil branches.

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/theora/libtheora-mmx-1.0alpha5.tar.gz
http://svn.xiph.org/branches/theora-mmx/

> Thank you Ralph.
> Also Valentina pointed me to the MMX version.
> I tested it yesterday... it's better, but I think it's not enough...
> I have to test some new ideas.
>
> http://svn.xiph.org/branches/theora-oil/
The -oil branch uses liboil, which only compiles under gcc.