[Theora-dev] ffmpeg2theora with mmx patches is available on konvalo.org

Ivan Popov pin at konvalo.org
Wed Mar 30 11:02:25 PST 2005

Hello,

ffmpeg2theora (with encoder mmx patches) is available on konvalo.org.
You can run it on Linux (2.6.x), FreeBSD (5.x) and NetBSD (2.x) on Intel x86.

ffmpeg2theora may be considered the recommended Theora encoder.
The author of the program is Jan Gerber @ v2v.cc

Those of you who already use Konvalo.org do not need to do anything,
the program is in your PATH. Otherwise see
http://www.konvalo.org/?pagename=Main.Software

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:46:04AM +0200, Ivan Popov wrote:
> In contrast, ffmpeg2theora converts the image to square pixels before
> encoding to theora. That is a more straightforward approach,

The above is no longer correct. It has improved a lot since version 0.10
which I tested. Sorry for the stale information.

The current version (0.13) of ffmpeg2theora is capable of maintaining
the pixel aspect ratio properly. You supply the picture aspect and it
recalculates it to the pixel aspect ratio.

It contains also all of the frequently used functions needed by an encoder,
so you would prefer it to the theora-encoder script unless you need
sophisticated video filtering. Another reason to try theora-encoder
might be if your source data is in some exotic format which ffmpeg2theora
would not accept.

Noise filtering seems to be on the TODO list, so we can hope it will be
soon incorporated into ffmpeg2theora.

Enjoy,
--
Ivan