[Theora-dev] Theora camera/fast computers

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Mar 22 21:26:31 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 07:24:20PM -0700, Andrey Filippov wrote:

> Several different effects. Color artifacts - yes, I know about them and
> will improve.

Right. Good to hear some improvement is possible. The effect I was
referring to had more to do with the noise not changing from frame
to frame. Does that mean it's a deterministic effect of the colour
interpolation, or just the way you detect motion?

Unrelated, do you have any plans to work toward one of the two specified
colourspaces in the spec?

> > So it just works out that way? Interesting. How fast can the sensor go?
> > And can you bin the pixels to read out the full frame at lower
> > resolution?
>
> Yes, but then it is not optimal for the color images or it will need
> different algorithms as the pixels will not be even.

Right, it obviously doens't work with the colour mosaic sensors. But for
grayscale being able to trade off resolution for framerate without
having to reframe the image is a nice feature.

> Here it is - not really impressive - water was dripping from the roof from
> melting snow and the droplets were out of focus (exposure was 1ms):
> http://www.elphel.com/3fhlo/samples/333_samples/360_fps2.ogg

Thanks!