[Theora-dev] Re: PC-based video server

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Jan 26 18:09:48 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 06:50:49PM -0700, Andrey Filippov wrote:

> In a way - yes, we will be able to go back in time and 'enhance' - not
> just zoom in realtime as with regular 'digital PTZ' feature - the idea
> that was invented to cover the gap between the performance of the
> multi-megapixel image sensors and slow compressors in the cameras /
> limited bandwidth of networks.

Nice.

BTW, you might want to look at the work on temporal URI and server-side
seeking for Ogg going on at www.annodex.net. There's both a mod_annodex
and illi's newer mod_OggChef that might provide a basis or at least some
ideas for how to handle the server streaming. The on-the-fly theora
peeling would be a useful feature for a lot of things.