[Theora-dev] Re: [Theora] ffmpeg2theora with mmx patches is available on konvalo.org

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Apr 14 17:47:46 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:01:56PM -0600, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> > ffmpeg2theora may be considered the recommended Theora encoder.
> > The author of the program is Jan Gerber @ v2v.cc
>
> Running only on x86? Hardly.  Make it work everywhere, then maybe it
> will be "considered the recommended encoder" :)

Well, it's as portable as ffmpeg is. Runs fine on linux ppc and MacOS X,
for example. There's an x86 Windows binary as well.

It's more not the recommended encoder because it's hard to build a
non-infringing version of ffmpeg for distribution in software patent
jurisdictions. So for example, Xiph doesn't provide official binaries
even though we host the app and theora encoding code in our repository.