[Theora-dev] ogg and keyframes

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Sep 29 11:31:46 PDT 2004

Hi,

> > 2) players don't show frames before they receive a keyframe.
>
> This has been suggested as a fix for dealing with lazy net streams that
> don't start by sending a keyframe, and of course lazy seek, but I'd
> rather it be handled by the player than libtheora. I added
> theora_packet_iskeyframe() to the api for facilitate this.
>
> I suppose it could be an option set through theora_decode_ctl().

When thinking more about this problem I was convinced that it cannot be
guaranteed by the server to start from a keyframe.  Because if you're
sending out an ogg stream with *two* theora streams, you can't make sure
both of them start at a keyframe.

So it should be handled client-side.

Whether it should be in the lib or not is a different matter.
Personally, I'd feel the lib should do it, since really, what is it
decoding and then sending on to the app if it didn't have a keyframe
yet ?

In other words, why would any application ever want to use any
information received *before* the keyframe ? If nobody needs it, there's
no point in sending that by default.  Just MO of course.

Thomas

I'd give anything to see you baby
I'd give anything to see you smile
My baby doesn't want just anything