[Theora-dev] Fwd: RE: DSP stamp

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Fri Oct 29 12:36:30 PDT 2004

On Friday 29 October 2004 01:17 pm, you wrote:
> If someone is willing to step up to do the port (are you volunteering
> for this, John?), by all means this sounds like an opportunity to jump
> on. As I've said, the bitstream is frozen and documented, so I'm not
> sure how much more we need to be "ready". I'll be happy to answer any
> questions anyone has.

Browsing to find a hardware module that might handle real-time encoding of
video in theora format is something that I can do.  Doing the port is out of
my league.  Very sorry.

According to http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4405077268.html
"The DSP Stamp comes preinstalled with a serial bootloader and uClinux, and a
development board is also available."

I guess even if theora was ported to the DSP Stamp, there would also be the
matter of connecting a video source to the development board to test the
speed and quality of the compression.  I'm pretty clueless about that, too.

All I know is that compressing the video at the source, whether its a webcam
or a camcorder, makes a lot of sense because it so greatly reduces the
downstream requirements for network bandwidth and storage.
John