[Theora-dev] Fwd: RE: DSP stamp

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Fri Oct 29 08:00:01 PDT 2004

Are we  interested, or ready for this?  Andrew Seddon is offering to provide
hardware to port Theora to the DSP Stamp.
John

Subject: RE: DSP stamp
Date: Friday 29 October 2004 03:50 am
From: "Andrew Seddon" <andrew.seddon at camsig.co.uk>
To: "'John Kintree'" <jkintree at swbell.net>
Cc: <theora-dev at xiph.org>

Hi John, (as you did I've copied to the xiph mailing list as this is
probably interesting to a few people!)

Indeed this is the target market for the DSP Stamp, in fact we will shortly
be releasing a Bluetooth video camera development kit. The idea being people
can implement their own compression/machine vision algorithms. Applications
include webcam's, integrated robot eye's and machine vision cameras.

The Theora codec is definitely very interesting. We are currently looking at
porting the open source MPEG4 codec xvid to the DSP Stamp. This is primarily
because the codec has been ported to other similar embedded architectures. I
suspect an initial port of Theora would be fairly easy, the difficultly will
come with optimising the codec to run real time.

If you are interested in looking at a port I'm sure we can help you out with
some hardware.

Anyway let me know what you think,

Kind regards,

Andrew Seddon(andrew.seddon at camsig.co.uk)