[Theora-dev] Encoder not linking on win32?

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Sat Oct 9 18:28:53 PDT 2004

I decided to bite the bullet and grabbed the latest changes out of
subversion.  Compiled fine (with a few cast changes), but for some reason
none of the encoding functions are linking.  (Decoding appears to link just
fine.)  Any ideas what I did wrong?

Here's what I did:

1) Downloaded a clean copy of the latest contents of Subversion using:

	svn co http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/theora

2) Opened 'theora\win32\theora_static.dsp' in Visual Studio .NET 2003
(automatically converted/upgraded on open)

3) Successfully built 'theora\win32\static_debug\theora_static_d.lib'

4) Recompiled my application using the newest theora headers

... repeat with ogg, vorbis, and speex ...

5) Made some very minor changes to my code so it'd compile (change casting
from signed to unsigned chars in a couple places)

6) Linked my application and it failed to find the following functions:

_theora_encode_tables
_theora_encode_comment
_theora_encode_header
_theora_encode_init
_theora_encode_packetout
_theora_encode_YUVin
_theora_encoder_clear referenced in function _theora_clear

For some reason all the unlinkable functions have underscore prefixes, even
though my code has none.  Were any changes made to the encoding function
prototypes since 1.0a3?

Thanks, I'm really eager to try out the new code!

-david