[Theora-dev] FPGA implementation

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at vt.edu
Thu Nov 18 14:34:42 PST 2004

Andrey Filippov wrote:
> on FPGA (there are always bugs there as in the software). I'll need some
> tools for testing and troubleshooting the encoder - something like single
> frame analysers where I can view the data on different stages of decoding
> by the standard (and tested) algorithm. I'll probably need to write some
> custom tools to analyse intermediate compression data that is/will be
> available in the SDRAM

There's a simple tool filec in
http://svn.xiph.org/experimental/derf/theora-exp/tools/ that can be used
to compare the output of two dump_video runs and pinpoint the
location(s) where they differ. The only more complex debugging tools
I've been using are "sprinkle the code with printf()s" and diff, but I
guess that's a little bit harder on an FPGA.