[theora-dev] theora specification document

Silvia Pfeiffer Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au
Fri May 14 21:21:46 PDT 2004

Hi again, hi derf,

wow! Things have changed a bit on the spec doc since I last read it!
Good stuff!

Still, may I suggest to change the structure of that document a bit? I'm
happy to actually do it and submit it, but I don't want to offend
anybody's existing way of structuring. So here's my suggestion.

Section 1 contains so much detail that I would rather split it into
three parts:

1. Introduction
    To contain all of chapter 1.1
    Plus an additional "1.1.7 General codec process overview"
         which describes in a picture and only a few words how a sequence
         of video frames gets compressed and encoded and decoded and
         uncompressed. [I'm happy to give this a go.]

2. Coded Video Structure
    To contain all of chapter 1.2

3. Decoding
    To contain all of chapter 1.3 and 1.4

[Section "2. Notation and Keywords" I'd suggest to turn into a preamble]
[Section "3. Video Formats" I'd suggest to turn into an appendix]

And the rest as is - gives a nice and neat structure for understanding a
logical theora bitstream.

Any thoughts? Especially derf?

Cheers,

Silvia.