[theora-dev] libtheora alpha 3 release

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Mar 19 22:10:04 PST 2004

I'm pleased to announce the alpha 3 release of the theora reference
implementation.

    http://theora.org/files/libtheora-1.0alpha3.tar.bz2
    http://theora.org/files/libtheora-1.0alpha3.tar.gz
    http://theora.org/files/libtheora-1.0alpha3.zip

The main differences over alpha 2:

    The encoded image has been flipped to match the sense used in VP3,
    with the origin at the lower left. This allows lossless transcoding
    of VP3 content.

    The decoder data tables included in the bitstream header are more
    complete and have more scope for future encoder improvements.

    Some experimental tools are available in the win32 directory,
    including a transcoder for avi vp3 files.

We hope there were be no more incompatible bitstream changes, but as
with previous alpha releases we make no promises that the format will
not change again. Only with the beta 1 release will we promise to
support encoded content, so use this only for content you can re-encode
later.

Experimental playback support is now available (separately) for
Helix/Realplayer 10, Xine and mplayer; you might look at those if you
want a more full-featured player. Be sure to use an alpha-3 compatible
version.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to make this release possible.

SHA-1 checksums:

ae01e03439bce495dc0d124c19de29c7fd4b5ad5  libtheora-1.0alpha3.tar.bz2
2a403162c45560f498b1d88ab4f45674e4f8dcbf  libtheora-1.0alpha3.tar.gz
d0406ecade7ac6b426a73fdb12cb8ac3a8462633  libtheora-1.0alpha3.zip

MD5 checksums:

96bd0ab761fffde527ac4febf168e9b7  libtheora-1.0alpha3.tar.bz2
eab566a0c7fdc21da1ce503edfa43bb4  libtheora-1.0alpha3.tar.gz
49dc6c19ca59ae6dae085a0d5857389f  libtheora-1.0alpha3.zip

The release is tagged as theora1_0_alpha_3 in cvs; some data files from
cvs HEAD were omitted for reasons of space.

Cheers,