[theora-dev] Higher quality video - supporting greater than 8 bit color depth

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun Mar 14 11:20:16 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 12:03:41PM -0500, KarasevAS at aol.com wrote:

> I am not a video developer myself. I edit video. A type of problems I come
> across fairly often, have to do with the limited color depth of the digital
> video medium. They often manifest themselves as "cartoonish" areas of adjacent
> flat colors observable in a low-noise footage of a smooth-colored subject such as
> sky or a non-textured wall. And trouble is, ANY footage becomes subject to
> color depth limitations whenever it is needed to adjust its gamma level or
> affect its historgam in other ways.

Yes, absolutely. If you mean, 'it would be nice if theora could do better,' that's not really its
mission. While it's a poor source format, 8 bits per channel with proper gamma is just barely
enough to represent the final images. Likewise, theora is a lossy codec intended for
digital distribution of a final edit, so 2 or 3 bytes per pixel is a good match. Using low bitrate
compressed video as an editing source is always going to have a 'lo-fi' effect regardless of what
image depth it supports. Certainly one can make do, or embrace the effect artistically as a number
of filmmakers have done with the DV format.

So, I definitely agree with you that source capture and editing systems should use deeper images,
as has been the procedure in the film world for some time. The current crop of 'native dv' editors
will eventually seem limited because of this; they're popular because it's the native format of
widely available 'cheap' cameras, and because it reduces the data rate to something much more
comfortable for current computers. Hopefully trickle down from film, the influence of us in the
software world and plain old Moore's Law will convince video engineers to see the light. :)

Unfortunately, because of the file sizes, using deep, lossless source formats means for most
people it's still cheaper to send tapes/dvd-r/harddisks through the post than to do the kind of
internet collaboration for editing that's now possible at the distribution level.

> As a user, I would like to see the following things in the next high quality
> video format:
>
> 1. Ability to support greater than 8 bits per RGB or YPrPb channel color
> depth, either arbitrarily defined (preferred) or as a selection of "good" values
> or "green or luminance"/other color depth pairs, to have say 12 bit Y and 8 bit
> Pr, Pb. You be the judges what would be the good values to support; I'd sure
> love to see e.g. 8, 12, 16, 24 bits per channel.

Ideally, a compression format uses the minimum space required to represent the information it's
given, so there's no penalty to submitting 12 bit source as 16 bit (as long as you don't dither,
anyway). I'd suggest the interesting channel formats are 8 bit integer, 16 bit integer, and 32 bit
float. I've not heard of anyone outside a scientific context using 24 bits per channel.

> 2. Ability to specify the "authoring" gamma value and color temperature in
> the video header. Thus the video would "know" the settings at which it was
> authored. On the other hand, the playback device could know its own gamma and color
> temp. Thus when playing a given video file, the playback device can make
> adjustments (through either adjusting itself, or applying the proper filtration to
> the video), so the video looks the way it was intended.

We do include some proper colourspace markers in theora, so at least an attempt at reproducible
colour can be made. The problem is much more complicated than just gamma and color temperature
though. The print world is standardizing on ICC profiles, which a number of image formats already
support; I'd suggest this is the way to go for any new editing-level formats.

> 3. Robust internal support for interleaved subtitles, so each word is tied to
> a section of a video. Header could include "recommended" font / color / text
> field size & position within frame / text alignment within field /
> modification (bold/italic/underline/outline/strikethrough) / transparency / merging type
> (direct/add/subtract/multiply). These should be midstream-adjustable so
> sections of text could appear with different settings. The player chould be able to
> override some or all of these settings. When intercutting multiple files,
> would be great if subtitles could be cleanly sliced along with corresponding video.

This is a real can of worms. There's no clear stopping point between 'plain ascii text' and the
features of a full-blown, timecoded, multilingual text and graphics layout system. There are
*numerous* formats with overlapping feature sets. As you're probably aware, even in professional
broadcast video there are a number of standards, each with more special characters and formatting
flags than the last.

But, as has been mentioned already, you can interleave whatever subtitle format you want in the
Ogg container format.

Our traditional opinion has been that an efficient subdivision of subtitle features is to two
extremes: very basic timecoded text with no formatting, and animated graphical overlays so the
authoring system can be as fancy as it likes. The good news is that the profile for Ogg Theora
will include support for one of each.

> 4. Speaking of subtitles, would be good to have multiple streams of ...
> EVERYTHING! I mean, multiple angles of video; multiple audio tracks; multiple
> subtitle tracks.

Likewise, you can already to this with ogg.

FWIW, I've for a long time advocated MNG+flac interleaved in an ogg bitstream as a high-quality
source format. MNG supports lossless compression, 16 bits per channel, white point and gamma
correction. Flac is offers lossless audio compression. And they're both free from intellectual
property restrictions on implementation as xiph recommends for all formats.

Anyway, glad to hear from you. The input of professional users is very valuable to us on the
development side.

Cheers,