[theora-dev] VP3 Format Doc, v0.4

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Mar 4 11:33:35 PST 2004

Hi

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 08:14, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Check it out-- another update in the space of a week:
>
>   http://home.pcisys.net/~melanson/codecs/vp3-format.txt
>
> v0.4: March 2, 2004
> - renamed and expanded section "Initializing The Quantization Matrices"
> - outlined section "Reconstructing The Frame"
> - moved Theora Differences Appendix to its own section entitled "Theora
> Specification"
> - added Appendix: Quantization Matrices And Scale Factors
> - added Appendix: DCT Coefficient VLC Tables
>

> I have now made the Theora spec more than a footnote in the document
> (though I still have not expounded much upon that section).
>
> 	Happy reading...
a few comments ...
* the intra quantization matrixes are from jpeg (maybe u want to menton that)

* u dont mention which rounding variant is used in divisions, its quite
obvious from the examples though

* i think u didnt mention in what order macroblocks are stored in the
bitstream, but maybe i missed it

* maybe it would help readability of the dc prediction description if there
where a table for the 16 fragment availability cases and which are
used/discarded, something like:
L ULU UR
0 0 0 0 uses 0
0 0 0 1 uses UR
1 0 1 0 uses (L+U)/2

* the VP3/theora code contains deblock/dering filters IIRC, are these optional
in a sense that they are applied to every image but the decoder uses the
unfiltered image for motion compensaton, or are these loop filters which are
used in the decode-mc loop?

* i think theres no mentioning of the motion vector accuracy, are they 1/2
pel?

* theres also no explanation of how the halfpel motion compensation is done
(rounding?), and what is done for the chroma fragments, the motion vector is
1/4 pel accurate for them if its 1/2 pel for luma

btw, very nice doc :)

[...]

--
Michael
level[i]= get_vlc(); i+=get_vlc();		(violates patent EP0266049)