[theora-dev] Updated VP3 Document

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at vt.edu
Mon Mar 1 09:35:18 PST 2004

> 	Timothy T.: I haven't lost all of your useful updates. But I am
> unfortunately too tired to include them on this update. They will make it
> in eventually.

Especially the one about Theora no longer having the opposite
orientation that VP3 has (at least in the CVS version).

The other comment I'd make is that the DCT tokens are coded in terms of
Huffman codes. The fact that the VP3 code re-derives the Huffman codes
corresponding to a set of histograms every time you run it is mostly
irrelevant. The histograms are fixed (in VP3), and so the codes are
fixed. In Theora, the codes are specified in the bitstream directly, not
in terms of a histogram.

Also, I don't remember if anyone ever asked before, do we have
permission to incorporate pieces of this document (with attribution)
into our own Theora bitstream spec.?